Thursday, February 24, 2011

Radiohead's "The King of Limbs" (Steak Knives)

After almost a week of not getting to it, I had a chance to listen to 'The King of Limbs' today, though only as background to my work day.

This is a welcome addition to the family, so to speak.  Still, it's more 'Amenesiac' than it is 'OK Computer' or 'In Rainbows', knocking it out of Cadillac territory.  I'm too lazy to write a long-ish review of this, so I'll just say it's one of their 'experimental' and 'swirly' efforts, and though there are some really strong tracks, I was let down that this wouldn't be another classic.  This is based on one listen only, of course.  Time will tell.  But there's a good amount of growing to go if it's going to catch their best performances.


A few online reviews I've read note that this is pretty close to the feel and sound of Thom Yorke's solo effort, 'Eraser.'  I'd forgotten what it sounded like, to be honest.  I'll have to go back and give it another chance as well...


On a related note, here's one ranking of the Radiohead canon, from weakest to strongest efforts.  This would be close to my own, though I'd at least move 'The Bends' up, as my first love (I didn't care much for 'Pablo Honey' at release).  'Hail to the Thief' might nudge up as well: 
http://www.nerve.com/music/ranked-radiohead-albums-from-worst-to-best

 

No comments: