Friday, January 21, 2011

Salman Rushdies 'Midnight's Children' (Cadillac)


I finished 'Midnight's Children' last night. A relatively epic read, and impressive from start to finish.

I'm not sure that there's much to say about this in short form - it feels like any inroad would lead to an overlong entry. Maybe it's enough to say that this is completely dripping with allegory, and as important a reading of 20th C. Indian history as a literal one, and that you really should read this, and leave it at that.

I've been a long time fan of magical realism, so this is a very satisfying addition to the master cannon of Marquez, Borges and the like. It's been sitting on our bookshelf, property of my lovely wife, for a few years unnoticed to me, so thanks to Juli for pointing it out to me.

No comments: